There are stars and then there’s Kareena Kapoor Khan. In an age when anyone and everyone can become a celebrity, thanks to social media, there’s a certain classic stardom about Kareena that no one can match. To top it, she’s a Kapoor married to a Khan — if that doesn’t spell Bollywood royalty, what does? Zee Zest recently caught up with the leading lady and discussed everything from her yoga routine to her holiday plans with her friends.
Excerpts from the interview:
1. We last saw you in ‘Laal Singh Chaddha’. What’s been keeping you busy since?
The shooting and promotions of ‘Laal Singh Chaddha’ kept me busy, so after that, I focused on spending time with my family for a while. Then it was back to work. I recently wrapped up the London schedule for Hansal Mehta’s next film, which was an absolute dream.
2. You look like a million bucks on screen. We’re often privy to your yoga and fitness posts on Instagram. Tell us more about your routine.
I think yoga is an indispensable part of my fitness journey. I try to incorporate different asanas in my sessions for that inner glow. In addition, my mum has always stressed on the importance of hair and skincare. I follow a strict morning and night routine so that I can look as good as I feel on the inside.
3. What do you do as part of your haircare routine?
I love pampering myself with quality products which are effective and show results. I have a simple routine that includes oiling my hair weekly with St. Botanica’s Moroccan Argan Hair Oil. I also regularly use the Pro Keratin and Argan Oil Hair Mask as it deeply nourishes my hair and scalp.
4. You always seem to be in laid-back and comfortable wear when you’re papped. Tell us more about your style.
Comfort is key. As long as I’m feeling comfortable in what I’m wearing, confidence comes naturally. In fact, it’s not only clothes, but I believe that our overall health and how we’re feeling also play a big part. This could include something as simple as having a good hair day.
5. You were rather late in joining Instagram. What are your thoughts on social media?
I’m more of a private person, so I wanted to try and stay away from social media as long as I could. But I ended up jumping on the bandwagon after all. I try to keep my feed as organic as possible. I place great importance on authenticity, so I always try to show myself as I am.
6. On the topic of Instagram, we also often see you with your girl gang. What are you most likely to do on a Saturday night together?
We would probably be catching up on our week and chilling together with good food. When you’re with your close ones, you don’t really need to be doing something particularly exciting all the time to be having fun! We often just settle down for an evening of self-care and pampering.
7. Do you borrow bags and outfits from each other, exchange style and beauty inspiration?
Of course! I think it happens naturally when you’re so comfortable with one another. Your fashion choices, your food preferences and your beauty mantras—everything starts reflecting little influences of the people in your close circle. For example, I’ve introduced St. Botanica to them and tried to get them as hooked as I am.
8. What are your plans for Christmas and New Year’s Eve?
In my family, we’re big on the festive season! With Christmas and New Year’s Eve drawing closer, I’m looking forward to spending some quality time together with my loved ones–perhaps somewhere by a beach or in the mountains.
9. Any tips for hosting a party?
Honestly, it’s the company that matters. As long as you have the people you love around you, it’s bound to be memorable.