Cauliflower, a cruciferous powerhouse, takes center stage in this tantalising curry recipe—a testament to its versatility and nutritional prowess. Renowned in Indian vegetarian cooking, cauliflower seamlessly absorbs flavours, creating a symphony of tastes in every bite. Let's explore the nutritional dance of cauliflower and delve into the creation of a delectable cauliflower curry that promises to be a culinary delight.
Cauliflower curry’s nutritional density
Cauliflower curry, rich in vitamins C and K, boasts anti-inflammatory properties and supports bone health. With its low calorie and high fibre content, it's a nutritional ally in weight management. Considering that cauliflower is highly fibrous, it leaves you feeling full and satisfied. On average, a serving of cauliflower curry may contain approximately 150 to 200 calories per bowl. So, you can enjoy this cauliflower curry anytime you want, for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, without feeling an ounce of guilt.
Moreover, the other ingredients in this recipe, also aid in digestion and fulfilling your daily nutritional needs. For instance, the coconut milk in the cauliflower curry is rich in lauric acid, which is great for your gut, while the tomatoes are full of healthy vitamins and the garlic is an antioxidant powerhouse. Go ahead and whip up a potful of nutrilicious cauliflower curry and make your day!
Tasty & vegan cauliflower curry recipe
Here’s a delightful cauliflower curry recipe to make and savour at home:
1 medium-sized cauliflower, washed and cut into florets
2 medium-sized tomatoes, finely chopped
1 large onion, finely sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1-inch ginger, grated
2 green chilies, finely chopped
1/2 cup peas (optional)
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder (adjust to taste)
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
1. Prepare the cauliflower: Trim the cauliflower and break it into bite-sized florets. Blanch the cauliflower in hot water for 3-5 minutes until slightly tender. Drain and set aside.
2. Sauté the aromatics: In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add sliced onions and sauté until golden brown.
3. Create the flavour base: Add minced garlic, grated ginger, and green chilies. Sauté for a minute until fragrant. Introduce finely chopped tomatoes and cook until they soften.
4. Spice it up: Sprinkle turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, and red chilli powder. Stir to combine.
5. Bring in the cauliflower: Add the blanched cauliflower florets (and peas, if using) to the pan. Mix well, ensuring the cauliflower is coated in the aromatic spice blend.
6. Simmer and infuse: Pour in coconut milk and season with salt. Stir gently to blend the flavours. Cover the pan and let the cauliflower curry simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes, allowing the spices to infuse.
7. Garnish and serve: Once the cauliflower is tender, garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Serve the aromatic cauliflower curry with steamed rice or warm toasted rotis.
Indulge in this delightful cauliflower curry, where the earthy notes of cauliflower harmonise with aromatic spices, creating a symphony of flavours. Elevate your dining experience with this Indian-inspired culinary masterpiece—your taste buds will thank you.