The best thing about potatoes is how versatile they are — they taste great with almost anything and are delicious solo too. The versatility of potatoes is universally acknowledged and appreciated. There are very few people who can say no to potatoes — whether it’s mashed, chips or fries — which is why including something potato-based in your house party menu is a good and safe idea. You can never go wrong with potatoes. So, if you're a potato fan, you've come to the right place. Here are some simple recipes of potato-based dishes that you can make in no time.
Sanjana Sovi shows you to make a healthier version of French fries at home with this potato finger chips recipe.
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Scrub the potatoes well to remove any dirt.
- Peel the potato skin.
- Slice longways into large slices.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss well to distribute the seasoning.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, tossing once or twice during cooking.
- When golden and crisp, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
2. Home-style Potato Chips Recipe by Sanjeev Kapoor
Here’s how you can make this easy home-style potato chips recipe by Sanjeev Kapoor.
- 5 large potatoes, oval and non-starchy
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- Oil to deep fry
- Salt to taste
- Peel the potatoes and soak them in water for fifteen minutes.
- Using a slicer, cut them into slices. With the appropriate blades, you can make plain or latticed slices.
- Soak the slices in cold water for fifteen minutes. Then drain them completely.
- In a kadai, heat enough oil. When the oil is very hot, add a few slices and deep fry them.
- Mix salt and water in a small bowl.
- When the potatoes are almost done, carefully sprinkle with saltwater and stir.
- Drain the potato chips and place them on absorbent paper to absorb any excess oil. You could also sprinkle some red chilli powder if you like.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool before storing in an airtight container.
3. No-Bake No-Fry Potato Wedges Recipe by Pankaj Bhadouria
Pankaj Bhadouria shows a unique recipe of crispy potato chips in wedges which is no-bake and no-fry.
- 4 large potatoes
- Chilli flakes
- Chopped parsley
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- Scrub and thoroughly wash the potatoes.
- Each potato should be cut into 8 wedges.
- Microwave the wedges for 4 minutes.
- Add 1 tsp oil in a large non-stick pan.
- Spread the potatoes evenly in the pan.
- Add 1 tbsp of minced garlic.
- Roast the potatoes on medium heat, turning occasionally, until golden and crisp.
- Season with herbs and serve hot.
Here’s how you can make potato smileys at home with this potato chips recipe by Pankaj Bhadouria.
- 400 gms boiled potatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp corn starch
- Oil to fry
- Boil the potatoes. Peel the potatoes and immediately pass the hot potatoes through a sieve to make a fine mash.
- Knead in the salt and corn starch to form a smooth dough.
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of 12 cm. Use a cookie cutter to cut out circles.
- Create eyes and a smile with a toothpick.
- Fry the potato smileys in medium hot oil until golden and crisp. Remove and serve immediately.
- You can also lightly fry the smileys. Cool them and freeze them to fry later, just like the frozen smileys from the market.
5. Garlic Potato Pops Recipe by Pankaj Bhadouria
Make garlic potato pops at home with this recipe by Pankaj Bhadouria.
- 2 cup parboiled potatoes (grated)
- 2 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- ¼ cup corn starch
- 1 tbsp water
- ¼ cup refined flour, for dusting
- Oil to fry
- In a mixing bowl, combine grated potatoes, garlic, chilli flakes, salt, pepper powder and corn starch.
- If necessary, add water to bind the mixture together as a dough.
- Make small marble-sized balls and coat them in flour.
- In a pan, heat the oil. Fry a few pops at a time in medium hot oil until golden.
- Serve right away with ketchup or chutney.
Here’s how you can make crispy potato papad at home with this recipe by Sanjeev Kapoor.
- 4-5 medium potatoes, boiled and peeled
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 ½ tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Oil as required
- In a bowl, grate the potatoes. Mash in the salt, chilli flakes and coriander leaves.
- Use some oil to grease a large plastic sheet. Place a portion of the potato mixture on it, drizzle with oil and press into thin discs with the assistance of another sheet. Repeat with the remaining papads.
- Place the papads on a sheet and set them aside for 1 day. Flip the papads and sun-dry for 1 more day.
- Deep fry and serve.