Butter chicken is one of the most searched chicken dishes in the world. It is also known as chicken makhani or murgh makhani. This recipe is as delicious as its name. Nowadays butter chicken is such a common dish that if you go to any restaurant, you will see butter chicken as the first dish in the menu under the chicken section. So today we will make restaurant-style butter chicken
Table of contents
- About butter chicken
- Types of chicken dishes
- How to make the dish
- Quick recap
About Butter Chicken Recipe
Butter chicken is known for its gravy which is very rich in texture, the combination of sweetness and a bit of spice makes it flavorful. The perfect blend of cream, tomato puree, honey and spices. Marination also plays an important role to make the dish tasty. But in my recipe, we are going to do two marinations, which will make the taste of the chicken even more delicious. The reason we will do two marinations is because tandoori chicken is always marinated twice.
It was originally from Delhi, a chef named Kundan Lal Gujral created this dish, in a restaurant called moti mahal.
Traditionally, the tandoori chicken used in this dish is not fresh but a day-old tandoori chicken because this dish was created with leftover tandoori chicken. The key ingredient for this dish is butter, tomatoes, Kashmiri laal mirch ( Kashmiri red chilli powder) and a day-old tandoori chicken. But in this recipe, we will grill fresh chicken pieces.
Usually, butter naan, plain naan, garlic naan, chapatti, steamed rice and jeera rice taste good, But I prefer it with butter naan or plain naan. Because the moment I tried butter chicken with butter naan for the first time as a kid, it became my absolute favourite dish.
There are many such dishes of chicken which are quite famous and tasty too.
Types Of Chicken Dishes
There are many types of chicken dishes that exist in this world, but we will talk about some famous Indian dishes that are loved all over the world. Chicken is good in taste and high in protein, this is the main reason people love chicken all over the world. So, here are the famous chicken dishes.
- Chicken masala: Easy to make and amazing in taste. Chicken Masala is one of the tastiest chicken dishes ever. The main character of this dish is the curry, all the taste, appearance and flavour depend on the curry, it is up to you how well you make the curry. Onion, tomato, curd, red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder etc. are used to make the curry tasty.
- Tandoori chicken: It is made in a clay oven (tandoor) which gives it a smoky flavour. It is an appetizer, which is served before the main course but some people take it as a main course or include it with the main course. It is served with green chutney which is sour and spicy. It takes two marinations, in the first marination we add lemon and ginger and in the second marination, we add spices and yoghurt. Then cook it in a clay oven or electric oven and enjoy.
- Chicken Biryani: Biryani is quite famous all over India, be it North or South. A perfect combination of rice and chicken, biryani is famous not only in India but all over the world. Chicken gravy and steamed rice are cooked together which makes it taste great. There are many types of Biryani like chicken dum biryani, Moradabadi biryani and many more. Biryani is available in every corner of India with slight variations but all types of Biryani taste great.
There are many other types of chicken dishes and chicken gravy, but in today's blog, we will only talk about butter chicken, so now we talk about the ingredients of butter chicken.
Ingredients For Butter Chicken Recipe
400 gm Boneless Chicken Thigh (cut into strips or cubes)
For First Marination
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
For Second Marination
- ⅓ cup hung curd
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 1 tsp kasuri methi powder (dried fenugreek leaves powder)
- Salt to taste
- 500 gm ripe tomatoes
- 75 gm onion
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 bay leaf (tez patta)
- 5-6 cloves (long)
- 3-4 green cardamom ( hari elaichi)
- 1 Black cardamom (kali elaichi)½ mace (gada)
- 1-inch cinnamon stick (daal chini)
- 12-15 cashews (kaju)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (sof)
- 6-7 Garlic cloves
- 1-inch ginger
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 -2 green chillies
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped coriander stems
- Water as required
For Finale Cooking
- 2-3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- Cooked chicken tikka
- 2 tbsp fresh cream
- Fresh cream
- Coriander leaves
- Ginger julienne
Preparations For Indian Butter Chicken
- Take a bowl, combine chicken, ginger garlic paste, lemon juice and mix well. Then keep it in the fridge for 30-40 minutes.
- Take another bowl and add whisk mustard oil and red chilli powder until blended properly.
- Now add other ingredients mentioned in 2nd marination like curd, mustard oil, ginger garlic paste, and powdered spices. Make a paste of it.
- After that take out the first bowl from the refrigerator and add that marinated chicken into the second bowl and mix well. Refrigerate it for 2-3 hours.
- For the final preparation heat oil in a pan or in a grill pan, place the chicken pieces and cook until they become golden brown. Remove and keep aside.
NOTE: As soon as the chicken turns golden in colour, take it out and break it, if it turns white from the inside, it means it is perfectly cooked.
How To Make Butter Chicken
- Take a saute pan and put tomato, onion, whole spices, coriander stems, ginger, garlic, green chilli, red chilli powder, cashews, butter, and water and bring it to a boil.
- Cover and cook until tomatoes become soft and mushy, for about 20-25 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and grind it into a fine puree. Strain the mixture into a bowl and keep aside.
- Heat oil and butter in a pan, add red chilli powder and sauté it for a few seconds. Add prepared puree and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now Add cooked chicken tikka, kasuri methi and mix well, Cook for 1-2 minutes. Turn off the flame and add honey, cream and mix well.
- Place hot charcoal in a bowl, add ghee and place it immediately in the pan and cover it for 8-10 seconds.
- Discard the bowl and serve hot garnish with cream, coriander leave and ginger julienne.
Quick Recap Of Authentic Butter Chicken Recipe
- In a bowl, combine chicken, ginger garlic paste, lemon juice and mix well. Refrigerate it for 30-40 Minutes.
- In another bowl, whisk mustard oil and red chilli powder and mix well. Now add other ingredients mentioned in 2nd marination and make a paste.
- Add the chicken and mix well. Refrigerate it for 2-3 hours.
- Heat oil in a pan or a grill pan, place the chicken pieces and cook until done. Remove and keep aside.
- In a pan add tomato, onion, whole spices, coriander stems, ginger, garlic, green chilli, red chilli powder, cashews, butter, and water and bring it to a boil.
- Cover and cook until tomatoes become soft and mushy, for 20-25 minutes.
- Off the flame and grind it into a puree. Strain the mixture, and keep it aside
- Heat oil and butter up the pan, add red chilli powder and saute it for a few seconds
- Add prepared puree and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken tikka, kasuri methi and mix well. Cook for 1-2 minutes
- Turn off the flame and add honey, cream and mix well
- Place hot charcoal in a cup, add ghee and place it in the pan and cover it for 8-10 seconds.
- Discard the bowl and serve hot garnish with cream, coriander leaves, ginger julienne