Bebinca Crepe Cake By Chef Akanksha Khatri
Bebinca Crepe Cake
Bebinca Crepe Cake is a traditional Goan dessert. Chef Akanksha Khatri shares the step-by-step recipe.Read More
4 egg yolks
200 gm granulated white sugar
400 ml coconut milk
100 gm all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp grated nutmeg powder
a pinch of salt
¼ cup sugar caramel (optional)
4 tbsp ghee or butter
For Coconut cream
1 cup whipped cream
¼ cup desiccated coconut
- In a large bowl, add the sugar and egg yolks. Mix well.
- Add the coconut milk. Mix until the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Sift the flour through a strainer and slowly add it to the coconut milk and egg mixture. Add in the salt and nutmeg powder. Mix the mixture thoroughly till there are no lumps of flour.
- Divide the bebinca batter into 2 equal portions. In one portion, add the sugar caramel. (To give alternate layers a slightly darker shade).
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour the plain batter onto the pan using a ladle. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
- On another pan, pour the other batter using a ladle. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
- Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side. When done, place it on the cooling racks.
- In the meantime, fold in desiccated coconut to whipped cream.
- After the crepes have been cooled down, layer the crepes alternately, along with cream in between.
- Dust it with icing sugar and garnish with toasted coconut.
Bebinca Crepe Cake is a multi-layered Goan dessert. The speciality of this crepe cake is the presence of coconut milk and nutmeg. These two ingredients accord this multi-layered delicacy a unique flavour and texture.
The aromatic and delicious Bebinca Crepe Cake gives you one more reason to fall in love with Goa.