You may have already heard the famous saying that "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" and rightly so. After all, having a proper breakfast is important to help you get through the day. So, how does one define a good breakfast? Although there is no official definition of a good breakfast, it must keep you feeling energised till the end of the day, or at least till lunch.
A protein-rich breakfast makes you feel fresh and prepared to face the day head-on. An egg omelet or sandwiches are some examples of a protein-rich breakfast that can give you a boost of nutrients. So, here are some easy breakfast recipes that are tasty and easy to make.
1. Egg cheese sandwich
Eggs are excellent sources of protein, so having eggs for breakfast is a great way to start your day. This egg cheese sandwich by Chef Kunal Kapoor is rich in proteins and super easy to prepare. Check out the recipe below.
- 2 eggs
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of pepper
- A dash of oil
- 1 tbsp cheese spread
- 1 cheese slice
- 2 tbsp chopped onions
- 2 tbsp chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped capsicum
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- A pinch of Italian mixed herbs
- Sliced bread
- In a clean bowl, crack open the eggs, sprinkle salt and pepper. Whisk for a few minutes.
- Then, heat a pan and pour the eggs. Swirl the pan to spread the eggs evenly.
- Place two slices of bread next to each other over the egg. Brush it with some butter and turn the side with the bread.
- Increase the heat and cook until the bread turns crisp. Then, turn off the heat and smear some cheese spread over the egg, place the cheese slice, add chopped onions, tomato, capsicum, coriander and Italian herbs.
- Turn on the heat on a low flame, lift one side of the bread and place it on the other. Cook it till both the sides are crisp.
- Your healthy, protein-rich breakfast is ready to be served.
2. Homemade muesli bars
Muesli is an oatmeal dish made of rolled oats, grains, nuts, seeds and dried fruits. It is considered one of the healthiest breakfasts. This breakfast recipe by Chef Ajay Chopra will turn you into a fan of muesli.
- Peanut butter
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla essence
- Cinnamon powder
- Coconut oil
- Desiccated coconut
- Rolled oats
- Dried cranberries
- Seed and nut trail mix
- Chocolate chips
- Refined flour
- Add some peanut butter and brown sugar to a bowl. Whisk until the brown sugar and peanut butter have combined into a thick and creamy consistency.
- Add 1 tsp of vanilla essence and cinnamon powder for flavouring. Add some coconut oil and honey and gently whisk it.
- Add desiccated coconut, rolled oats, dried cranberries, seed and nut trail mix, and chocolate chips as the batter comes to a fine consistency. Then mix all the ingredients and bind them together.
- You can then add a little refined flour and bind it together.
- Take a baking dish and cover it with baking/parchment paper. Pour the entire ingredient mix into the dish and level it.
- Bake it at 180 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Once baked, let it cool.
- Remove the parchment paper and have it with fruits of your choice.
3. Sweet potato cups
Sweet potato is a great replacement for potatoes, which are often avoided by those following a strict diet. So, if you’re craving some carbs, then have this sweet potato cups recipe by Chef Ajay Chopra.
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 rosemary
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 6-7 olives
- ½ cup cream
- ½ big cube cheese
- 1 tsp black pepper
For tomato salsa:
- ½ cup chopped tomato
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 chopped green chilli
- 20 gm chopped coriander
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
1. Boil the sweet potatoes. Peel and cut them into equal cup sizes.
2. Scoop out the potatoes to stuff them with boiled vegetables.
3. Heat oil in a pan and make a crispy sweet potato cup.
4. Add oil, chopped garlic, chopped onions, rosemary, boiled corn, bell peppers, salt and paprika in a hot pan.
5. Add the remaining boiled sweet potato.
6. Add fresh cream and cheese and sprinkle some black pepper.
For sweet potato cups:
7. Stuff the sweet potato with the mixture prepared.
For tomato salsa:
8. In a bowl, add chopped tomato, chopped onion, chopped green chilli, chopped coriander, salt, and lemon, mix them together to make a salsa. Serve it with the sweet potato cups.
4. Peanut butter and fruits smoothie
Smoothies are a great on-the-go liquid meal that is also filling so it is an ideal breakfast recipe. Chef Akanksha Khatri shared a healthy smoothie recipe on her Instagram profile. Here is the recipe for Chef Akanksha's breakfast smoothie.
- Fresh strawberries
- Frozen banana
- Frozen mangoes
- Chia seeds
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- Put the fresh strawberries, bananas and mangoes in a mixer. Blend them into a smooth paste.
- Transfer the fruit paste into a bowl. Garnish with some muesli, chopped strawberries and a spoon of peanut butter.
5. Apple pie oatmeal
Oatmeal is one of the easiest ways of cooking oats. It is a popular breakfast food prepared by cooking oats in a liquid like water or milk. Here is Chef Akanksha Khatri’s oatmeal recipe with an apple pie twist.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 apple
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tbsp cardamom powder
- Apple slices, cashews and maple syrup for garnishing
- Put water, milk, oats, chopped apple, maple syrup and cinnamon powder in a pan.
- Cook it for 4-5 minutes. Switch off the flame as it starts thickening.
- Your healthy oatmeal is ready to serve. You can garnish it with apple slices, cashew, and maple syrup.