Due to its geographical location, Chandigarh is positioned at a perfect distance from the mountains and there are a number of hill stations nearby. Who wouldn't want to get away from the sweltering summer heat and spend a few days in the pleasant environment of a hill station?
Chandigarh is one of the most well-planned cities in India because it has great roads, quiet streets and is close to some of the best hill stations in the country. Famous mountain getaways or Himalayan escapes are only a short drive from Chandigarh. This city near Delhi is a great place to go for a weekend if you want to get away from technology.
You'd be shocked to learn that the hill stations near Chandigarh are great to drive around, and the roads there are very good, too. These five mountain towns near Chandigarh, which are only a short drive away, are known for their snowfall in the winter and balmy, cool climate in the summer.
Hill stations near Chandigarh
Parwanoo is one of the best places to visit near Chandigarh because it is less than 100 kilometres away. This place is now an industrial town, but it still has great views of the beautiful Himalayan landscapes. There are many things to do with your family in Parwanoo because the city is covered in trees. If you are religious, you will find a lot of places here to go on pilgrimages. Parwanoo is surrounded by dense woods, so there are beautiful and easy hiking trails around the town as well. In the summer, this hill station near Chandigarh is a good choice for a quick getaway.
- Things to do: The best things to do in Parwanoo is to watch the sunset, ride a cable car, eat local food, and learn about the history of Gurkha Fort.
- Distance: The place is 36 kilometres away from Chandigarh and takes up to an hour (approx.)
- Places to visit: Visit Gurkha Fort, the Cactus Garden, and the Kali Mata Temple in Parwanoo.
- Best time to visit: Ideal times to visit Parwanoo is from March to June and October to February.
2. Morni Hills
Morni Hills, often called Switzerland of Haryana, is a great tourist destination near Chandigarh. The name of this hill station near Chandigarh comes from a queen who lived there and ruled the place. It is a relaxing place to go on a vacation. There are a lot of hiking trails, lakes, and lush greenery in the area. Fresh mountain air and clear views of the Shivalik Range will greet you when you enter Morni Hills. There is also an adventure park at Morni Hills where you can do activities like zipline and rock climbing.
- Distance: Morni Hills is just 42 kilometres away from Chandigarh and takes around 1.5 hours (approx.) to reach.
- Places to visit: The best places to visit in this hill station near Punjab are Tikkar Taal and Karoh Peak, Thakur Dwar Temple, Gurudwara Nada Sahib, and the Thakur Dwar Temple.
- Best time to visit: Visit Morni Hills in the months between March to June and October to February.
Those who live in Chandigarh can go to Nalagarh, which is the gateway to Himachal Pradesh. Nalagarh has a lot of lush greenery and beautiful views of the Shivalik Hills. Its main attraction is the Nalagarh Fort,built by the British in the 1800s, which is now a heritage hotel. In the past, Nalagarh was praised by Mughals and Britishers for its beauty, which means it should be on your list of places to visit near Chandigarh on the weekends.
- Best time to visit: The best time to visit Nalagarh is from March to June, and October to February.
- Places to visit: Nahargarh Fort, Yadavindra Gardens, and Ramgarh Fort are some places you can visit near this Chandigarh hill station.
- Distance: This place is 48 kilometres away from Chandigarh and takes 1.5 hours (approx.)
Kasauli, a hilly cantonment town on the road from Chandigarh to Shimla in the Solan district, is an ideal holiday place, especially for a weekend trip. Kasauli is mostly renowned for its proximity to Chandigarh and Delhi, but it is also noted for its magnificent villas and calm setting. This is one of the best places to visit around Chandigarh, as it doesn’t have many tourists so you can spend your vacation in a peaceful and green place.
- Distance: This place is 60 kilometres away from Chandigarh and takes about two hours (approx.) to reach.
- Places to visit: Baba Balak Nath Temple, Christ's Church, Shirdi Sai Baba Temple, and Central Research Library.
- Best time to visit: Visit Kasauli in March to June, and October to February.
Beautiful Solan is a small hill station near Chandigarh in the foothills of the Himalayas, where you can see beautiful views of the city. Solan is named after the Hindu goddess Shulani Devi, and it has been called the ‘Mushroom City’ and the ‘City of Red Gold’. Solan was first a cantonment city, and it still has some of the colonial charms in its architecture. Solan perennial is a hilly area of Himachal Pradesh that is very pretty and has good weather. For people who like to go on adventures, the mountains near Solan are a good place to go trekking. It is a place where you can find the hidden beauty in Himachal Pradesh.
- Distance: The place is 65 kilometres away from Chandigarh and takes two hours (approx.)
- Places to visit: The best places to visit in Solan are the Bon Monastery, the Shoolini Mata Temple, the Kuthar Fort, and the Children’s Park.
- Best time to visit: Visit Solan in March, June, and October-February.