Vazhapoo Vadai By Chef Rakesh Raghunathan
Vazhapoo Vadai is an authentic snack from Tamil Nadu made from Vazhaipoo or Banana Flowers. Chef Rakesh Raghunathan shares the recipe for this special snack.Read More
1 chopped banana blossom
1 cup soaked Bengal gram
2 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 red chillies
- Soak ½ cup Bengal gram in enough water for 2 hours. Drain the water from the dal and grind it into a coarse paste.
- Grind 1 tsp fennel seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 3 red chillies into a powder.
- Take the ground Bengal gram paste in a mixing bowl, add chopped banana blossom, masala powder, salt and mix it well.
- Make round vadas from the mixture.
- Gently place the vadas in the hot oil. Fry on medium flame.
- Vazhapoo Vadai is ready to serve.
Vazhapoo Vadai is a deep-fried snack that is made from Banana flowers, chana dal, and spices. Cleaning the banana flowers requires a lot of time and patience, but the taste and texture of the deep-fried vadai make the hard work worth it.
Although this is a deep-fried snack, the presence of banana flowers makes this snack low in calories, highly fibrous, and nutritious.
This crispy, crunchy and delicious can be a tea time snack as well as a side dish in main meals.