Taftan By Chef Harpal Singh Sokhi
Taftan is a leavened flour bread from the Pakistani cuisine. Chef Harpal Singh Sokhi shares the recipe in detail.Read More
3 cups all-purpose flour
100 gm melted butter
4 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp yeast
1 cup yogurt
salt to taste
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp nigella seeds
butter for glazing
- In a parat, take maida and mix it with melted butter.
- Next, add sugar, egg, yeast, yogurt, salt, and milk to the mixture and make a dough.
- Cover this dough with a wet muslin cloth for 1 hour.
- Make balls of equal portion and cover the balls with wet muslin cloth for a few minutes more.
- Next, roll the balls into flatbreads. Press lightly with fingertips and sprinkle nigella seeds on it.
- Place the taftans in a baking tray and glaze them with butter.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes at 220°C. Remove from oven, glaze with butter and serve hot.
Taftan is quite similar to the Naan made in India. The difference being - Taftan is made with egg, yeast, salt, sugar, curd and milk added to all-purpose flour. Taftan is traditionally cooked in tandoor or in a preheated oven and served with any gravy but in Lahore it is can be had for breakfast with some delicious hot Kashmiri Chai.
Taftan is yummy and filled with nutrition.