Sharkara Upperi By Chef Rakesh Raghunathan
Sharkara Upperi or sweet chips is a popular dish from Kerala. Chef Rakesh Raghunathan shares the recipe in detail.Read More
1 nentharam banana
1 tsp roasted cumin seed powder
1 cup jaggery
2 tsp rice powder
1 tsp dry ginger powder
200 ml coconut oil
- Heat a pan, add 1 cup jaggery and water. Melt the jaggery to form a syrup.
- Heat coconut oil in another pan and fry the chopped banana.
- Add the fried banana pieces in the jaggery syrup.
- Add dry ginger powder, cumin seed powder, rice powder and mix it well.
- Let it dry. Now Sharkara Upperi is ready to serve.
Sharkara Upperi or sweet chips is the cleverest combination of jaggery and banana. This dish is another must at Onam Sadhya.
It is made from Nendram Pazham, a variety of bananas that is very popular in Kerala. The jaggery is melted in little water, and simultaneously, the banana slices are deep-fried and added immediately to the jaggery syrup. Rice flour is added to remove the stickiness of the chips. Dry ginger powder is used for additional flavour.
This traditional sweet is not only delicious but also very healthy.