Never Fail Sponge Cake By Chef Tejasvi Chandela
Never Fail Sponge Cake
Never Fail Sponge Cake is a simple but delicious version of the regular and popular sponge cake. Chef Tejasvi Chandela shares the step-by-step recipe.Read More
For the sponge
2 cups unsalted butter
2 cups castor sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
orange zest as required
lemon zest as required
butter for greasing
For Strawberry Jam
2 cups strawberries
1 cup castor sugar
1 cup whipping cream
strawberries for garnish
icing sugar for garnish
- Cream the unsalted butter and castor sugar in a bowl using an electric beater.
- Add 3 eggs, one at a time and mix it well in the butter mixture.
- Add all-purpose flour and baking powder and fold them into the mixture.
- Add vanilla extract and mix again.
- Divide the egg batter into two equal parts. Add orange zest to one bowl of batter and mix well.
- Add lemon zest to the other bowl of batter and mix well.
- Grease the baking tins with butter and sprinkle some flour in them.
- Transfer the cake batters to the tins and tap them to remove air pockets.
- Bake them in a preheated oven at 180 Celsius for 20 minutes.
- In a pan cook 2 cups of strawberries with castor sugar for 10-15 minutes.
- Puree the strawberry mixture to make the jam.
- Beat the chilled whipping cream till it forms soft peaks.
- Once the cakes cool down, unmould them. Place the lemon sponge at the base and trim the top part.
- Spread the whipping cream evenly followed by the strawberry jam.
- Place the orange sponge on it and garnish it with strawberries and icing sugar.
Never Fail Sponge Cake, as the name suggests, is an easy to make recipe of a sponge cake that never fails. Traditionally, a sponge cake is made with just three basic ingredients - flour, sugar and eggs. Here Chef Tejasvi takes inspiration from her mother’s sponge cake recipe to make this awesome cake.
The chef also gives a twist to this recipe by adding a zest of orange and a zest of lemon to the batter.
Chef Tejasvi Chandela’s citrusy, strawberry jam filled and whipped cream loaded Never Fail Sponge Cake is light, fluffy, and yummy.