Murgh Zameen Doz By Chef Harpal Singh Sokhi
Murgh Zameen Doz
Murgh Zameen Doz is a traditional chicken dish from the Mughal era. Chef Harpal Singh Sokhi brings this exotic Mughlai recipe to your kitchen.Read More
For Murgh Zameen Doz
1 whole chicken
salt to taste
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 cinnamon stick
4 bay leaves
5-6 black cardamom
1 tbsp black peppercorns
5-6 tbsp ghee
1 tsp black cumin seeds
1 tbsp ginger paste
2 cups chicken stock
2-3 tbsp almond paste
1 cup yogurt
4-5 tbsp fresh cream
2-3 rumali rotis
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala
- Take a bowl and marinate the whole chicken with salt and lemon juice. Keep it aside.
- Dry roast the cinnamon stick, mace, cloves, bay leaves, black cardamoms, and black peppercorns in a pan and then grind them to a fine powder in a mixer.
- Mix the marinated whole chicken with this masala powder and marinate for 30 min.
- Heat ghee in a handi. When the ghee heats up, add black cumin seeds, ginger paste, and chicken stock and mix well.
- Now add the marinated chicken to the handi and cover the handi with a lid for 20-25 min.
- Next, add almond paste and yogurt to the handi and mix well.
- Remove the chicken from the handi and add fresh cream to the gravy in the handi.
- Put some gravy on top of the chicken.
- Take some rumali rotis, sprinkle red chilli powder and garam masala on them, put chicken on these rotis along with gravy and fold the rotis to cover the chicken.
- Heat ghee in a pan and cook the chicken in it from both the sides till it becomes crispy.
- Cut it the crispy chicken into two parts and serve with the gravy.
Murgh Zameen Doz is an exotic chicken-based dish from the royal Mughal kitchens. In this recipe, as the name suggests, murgh (chicken) is cooked zamin doz (inside earth) in an earthen pot. The earthen pot is sealed with mud to ensure that the chicken is sealed properly inside. Due to this type of cooking, the chicken gets an earthy and smoky flavour.
The chicken is tender, creamy and spicy.
Murgh Zameen Doz is a mouth-watering royal treat.