Kundan Qaliya By Chef Harpal Singh Sokhi
Kundan Qaliya is a traditional golden coloured mutton curry from Awadh (Lucknow). Chef Harpal Singh Sokhi shares the recipe for this Mughlai curry.Read More
For Kundan Qaliya
4-5 tbsp ghee
1 kg mutton
1 tbsp garlic paste
1 tbsp ginger paste
salt to taste
water as required
4-5 tbsp fried onion paste
1 tsp turmeric powder
1-2 tbsp yellow chilli powder
1-2 tbsp cashew nuts paste
1/2 tsp safforn
2 tbsp rose water
1/2 tsp ittar
1-2 cups fresh cream
golden varakh for garnish
For garam masala
10-12 green cardamom
6-8 black cardamom
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp dry ginger powder
1 tsp rose petals
- Heat ghee in a kadhai and add mutton pieces, garlic paste, ginger paste, salt and water to it, mix well, cover the kadhai and let it cook.
- In a pan, dry roast green cardamoms, black cardamoms, cloves, mace, and cinnamon sticks. Grind these spices in a mixer along with dry ginger powder, nutmeg and rose petals. Sieve the masala.
- In the kadhai with mutton, add a paste of fried onions, turmeric powder, and yellow chilli powder and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Next, add cashew nuts paste and cook till the gravy thickens.
- Add saffron, mix well and let the mutton cook for a few more minutes.
- Once the mutton is fully cooked, add the garam masala, rose water, ittar, and fresh cream and boil for a few minutes.
- Garnish the Kundan Qaliya with golden varakh and serve.
Kundan Qaliya is a traditional golden coloured mutton curry from the Mughlai cuisine. The gravy of the mutton is golden in colour. The gravy gets its colour from the use of turmeric powder, yellow chilli powder and saffron. The chef garnishes this curry with golden varakh and enhances the appeal of this already beautiful dish.
The creamy, smooth golden curry and the tender mutton pieces make this dish a manna from heaven.