Kathal Ki Biryani By Chef Ajay Chopra
Kathal Ki Biryani
Kathal Ki Biryani or Jackfruit Biryani is the vegetarian version of the beloved biryani. Chef Ajay Chopra shares the recipe in detail.Read More
For Kathal Ki Biryani
salt to taste
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp coriander powder
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
½ tbsp besan (gram flour)
1 cup kathal (jackfruit) cut into cubes
2 tbsp oil
50 gm finely sliced onions
oil for frying
1 cup basmati rice
3 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp shahi jeera
2 bay leaves
6 black peppercorns
4 black cardamoms
2 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp chopped ginger
2 tbsp fresh coriander
2 tbsp chopped green chillies
½ cup cream
2 strands saffron
½ tsp green cardamom powder
½ tsp mace powder
- Marinate the kathal with some turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt, oil, ginger garlic paste and lastly add the besan and mix well.
- Now take a muslin cloth and add some shahi jeera, cloves, mace, black and green cardamom, cinnamon sticks, pepper corns and make a potli and add it in boiling water and then add some ghee and let it boil nicely.
- Take the marinated kathal and deep fry the kathal till golden brown and then remove it and keep it aside.
- Now heat a thick bottom pan add desi ghee shahi jeera, cloves, black cardamom, green cardamom, mace, cinnamon, bay leaf and peppercorn, some sliced onion, and cook till golden brown.
- Then take some old and long grain basmati rice and soak it for two hours in water and then drain it and then add the rice to a cooking pot and let it cook till 50 percent and strain it and then spread in a tray allow it to cool.
- Then add some water, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, ginger garlic paste and then add whisked yogurt and cook briefly.
- For flavoring add some green chilies, chopped ginger, garam masala powder and some salt and as the masalas leave some oil, it indicates that the masalas are ready, add some more water and then add the fried kathal. Add chopped coriander leaves and chopped mint leaves to the gravy.
- Now to make a jhol, a liquid which keeps the biryani moist, take a pan and add some cream, some saffron, and just a pinch of elaichi and javitri powder, garam masala and mix all of it well and keep it aside.
- Now in a pot add the kathal gravy at the bottom, add some fried onions, some mint leaves, and chopped coriander leaves, and then add the boiled rice along on top of the kathal gravy layer.
- Pour some jhol on it and repeat the process again. And finally top it with some more fried onions, some mint leaves, and chopped coriander leaves and close the lid and cook it on low flame for about 12 to15 mins.
- Then once remove the lid and loosen up the rice a bit and your Kathal Ki Biryani is ready. Serve hot and garnish it with some fried onions, some mint leaves, and chopped coriander leaves.
Kathal Ki Biryani or Jackfruit Biryani is the vegetarian version of the beloved biryani. In India and the subcontinent, biryani is a very popular dish. It is traditionally made with rice and meat. The traditional biryani has spiced meat chunks with aromatic rice that emanates an irresistible aroma. But for those who don’t eat meat (mutton or chicken), Kathal Ki Biryani can be a great alternative.
The chef makes Kathal Ki Biryani the same way a regular biryani is made. All the spices, herbs and even the method of cooking is similar to that of a regular biryani.
This Kathal Ki Biryani is so flavourful and fragrant that it will make anyone hungry instantly.