Karadantu By Chef Akanksha Khatri
Catch up on Lifestyle Shows.
Read about Lifestyle.
Discover new Recipes.
Know your Chefs.
Participate and Win.
Share and Comment.
Stay in Tune.
Additional details required
Also known as - Karadantu
Karadantu is a traditional sweet from Karnataka. Chef Akanksha Khatri shares the step-by-step recipe of this healthy sweet.Read More
1 tbsp ghee
1 tbsp gond
¼ cup chopped almonds
¼ cup chopped cashews
¼ cup chopped pistachios
¼ cup chopped dried figs
2 tbsp raisins
2 tbsp sultanas
5 chopped dry dates (Chuhara)
2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp chopped dates
1 cup dry coconut
1 tbsp poppy seeds
For Jaggery Syrup
2 tsp ghee
1 cup jaggery
¼ cup water
¼ tsp nutmeg powder
¼ tsp cardamom powder
- In a pan, heat ghee and roast the gond on low flame until it puffs up and turns slightly golden, transfer it in a bowl and keep aside.
- Dry roast the coconut till golden brown and add in the bowl gond is kept.
- Crush gond with fingers and mix it with coconut, use mortar pestle if needed.
- Now, in the same pan add chopped almonds, cashews, pistachios, pumpkin seeds, melon seeds, roast the dry fruits and remove it in a bowl.
- Now dry roast soft dry fruits like raisins, sultanas, dry dates, regular dates. When done, transfer it to the same bowl and keep it aside.
- Roast the Poppy Seeds until it starts to pop and transfer to the same bowl. Mix everything well, making sure that it’s well combined.
- In a large kadai, heat 2 tsp ghee and add jaggery and water to it. Stir it till the jaggery is dissolved. Also add nutmeg and cardamom powder.
- Now add all the previously roasted dry fruits poppy seeds mix, gond and coconut to this syrup.
- Mix well, making sure everything is well incorporated. When done, transfer the prepared mixture into a greased rectangular or square mould.
- Allow it to set for 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Later, unmould and cut it into rectangular bars and serve.
Karadantu is a traditional sweet from Karnataka. The name of this sweet literally means fried edible gum. This sweet is made from edible gum, jaggery and dry fruits. Due to the presence of edible gum, it has a chewy texture.
Dry fruits, jaggery and edible gum make this sweetmeat healthy and nutritious. This unique sweetmeat is healthy and can satisfy your sweet cravings too.