Kamba Koozhu & Karuvadu Thokku By Chef Rakesh Raghunathan
Kamba Koozhu & Karuvadu Thokku
Kamba Koozhu and Karuvadu Thokku are traditional breakfast recipes from Tamil Nadu. Chef Rakesh Raghunathan shares the recipes in detail.Read More
For Kamba Koozhu
1 cup pearl millet powder
1 cup curd
1 cup shallots
1 green chilli
water as required
For Karuvadu Thokku
25 ml sesame oil
1 chopped tomato
1 chopped green chilli
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
10 garlic cloves
1 tsp chopped ginger
salt to taste
5 dry fish pieces
- Heat water in a pot. Add 1 cup pearl millet powder mix it well.
- Add more water and cook.
- Once cooled, add curd and water and mix well.
- Add chopped shallot and green chilli. Kamba Koozhu is ready to serve.
- Heat oil in a pot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, shallots, chopped green chilli, garlic and chopped ginger and fry it.
- Add chopped tomato, 1 tsp of dry red chilli powder, 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp salt, mix it well and let it cook for a few minutes.
- Add the dried fish pieces and cook until the fish is cooked.
- Karuvadu thokku is ready to serve.
Kamba Koozhu is a porridge made from Pearl millets (Bajra). Pearl millets are mixed with a cup of water to form a smooth paste and the mixture is then fermented overnight. The next day it is cooked, cooled down and mixed with buttermilk. It is topped with finely chopped onions and coriander.
It is a traditional summer dish as it is known to reduce body heat. Kamba Koozhu acts as a natural coolant, is rich in proteins and fibres and easy to digest.