Kheema Pav By Chef Ajay Chopra
Irani Kheema Pav is a spicy and tasty dish of Parsi origin. Chef Ajay Chopra shares the recipe for this minced mutton-based dish.Read More
For Irani Keema Pav
3 tbsp vegetable oil
4 green cardamom pods
1 black cardamom
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
250 gm onions, finely chopped
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
4 green chillies, chopped
350 gm tomatoes
2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp garam masala
water as required
500 gm keema (minced muttton)
salt to taste
2 tbsp butter (for toasting pav)
- To marinate keema, add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and Parsi garam masala, mix well and keep aside for a while.
- Take oil in a pan and add fennel seeds, star anise, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, cloves and green cardamom. Add chopped onions to it.
- Add ginger garlic paste and little water and let it cook.
- Now add turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder and marinated keema. Mix well.
- Now make hara masala by grinding coriander leaves, green chillies, cumin seeds, garlic, and oil in a mixer. Add this hara masala to the keema and cover the pan and let it cook.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and pureed tomatoes and cover with the lid.
- Heat a pan and put butter. Coat the pav into the butter and keep it aside.
- Garnish with fresh coriander, lemon wedges and chopped onions.
Irani Kheema Pav is a spicy minced mutton dish that was brought to India by the Parsi community. It is one of Mumbai’s iconic street foods.
In this recipe, the minced meat or kheema is cooked with various aromatic spices and herbs. The spices impart an exquisite flavour to the meat. The spicy kheema is served with pav which is pan fried with a little bit of butter.
The spicy and aromatic kheema served with soft and fluffy pav and lemon wedges is an amazingly satisfying and enjoyable meal that can be had anytime of the day.