Foxtail Millet Upma By Chef Ajay Chopra
Foxtail Millet Upma
Foxtail Millet Upma is delicious and nutritious breakfast dish. Chef Ajay Chopra shares the recipe in detail.Read More
For Foxtail Millet Upma
1 tbsp oil
¼ tsp mustar seeds (rai/ kadugu)
1 tsp white urad dal (split)
2 sprigs curry leaves
1 green chilli
1 tsp pepper powder
2-3 dry red chilli (boriya)
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 inch ginger, finely chopped
¼ cup carrot, finely chopped
¼ cup green beans, finely chopped
¼ cup peas
1 cup foxtail millet
salt to taste
2 tbsp coriander leaves (dhaniya)
3 tbsp fresh grated coconut
5-6 coconut chips
100 ml water
100 ml coconut milk
- Soak the millets for 10 minutes, boil for 8-9 minutes and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat water and coconut milk, then add curry leaves, carrot, peas, french beans and salt. Leave it to cook.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat add split urad dal and dry red chilli allow it to crackle. Once the dal is golden brown, add the mustard seeds, green chilli, curry leaves, ginger, chopped onions and saute for a few seconds. Then add salt and pepper powder.
- Add the boiled millets to the tadka as well as the liquid with the vegetables. Mix well and cover and cook for a minute.
- Add coriander leaves, fresh grated coconut and fried coconut chips.
- Serve Foxtail Millet Upma Recipe along with Tomato Onion Chutney Recipe or coconut chutney and South Indian Filter Coffee for a wholesome breakfast.
Foxtail Millet Upma is delicious and nutritious breakfast dish from South India. This savoury dish is made with foxtail millets, spices and a few vegetables. Upma made from semolina (rava) is a popular breakfast dish but those who want to eat healthy, Foxtail Millet is a good substitute for semolina or rava for them. Foxtail millets are high in fibers and rich in nutrient.
Foxtail Millet Upma is a wholesome and satisfying. It is so filling that itcan be served as a breakfast, lunch or dinner.