Falafel with Beetroot Hummus and Pita Pockets By Chef Ajay Chopra
Falafel with Beetroot Hummus and Pita Pockets
Falafel with Beetroot Hummus and Pita Pockets is a perfect combination of tasty Middle Eastern food. Chef Ajay Chopra shares the step-by-step recipe.Read More
For beetroot hummus
400 gm chickpeas
6 tbsp tahini
6 ice cubes
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For pita pockets
1 ½ cups warm water (110° to 115°)
1 packet active yeast
2 tbsp sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp sea salt
3 tbsp olive oil
2 cups dried chickpeas
1 cup fresh parsley leaves, stems removed
salt to taste
1 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
oil for frying
English cucumbers, chopped or diced
tomatoes, chopped or diced
- In a mixer jar, add overnight soaked chickpeas, parsley, mint leaves salt, cumin powder, black pepper powder and crush. Do not make paste out of it.
- Prepare tikki shapes out of it. Deep fry in hot oil.
- In a mixer jar take boiled chickpeas, beetroot, lemon juice, olive oil, curd, garlic cumin powder, sesame paste (tahini). Mix well.
- Now take onions, lettuce, beetroot, tomato, salt and pepper. Prepare salad out of it.
- Cut the pita bread into two halves. Make pockets out of it.
- Apply the hummus into the inner side of the pita bread.
- Place the pickled vegetables. Add salad and place falafel.
- Serve the whole pocket.
Falafel is a deep-fried fritter made from ground chickpeas that is generally served with hummus (a traditional dip) or in pita (a traditional flatbread). Hummus is a traditional Middle Eastern dip made from chickpeas, tahini, lemon, and spices. It can be served with chips or other deep-fried foods. Pita is a traditional Middle Eastern baked flatbread.
Falafel is served in pita pockets with hummus, tahini sauce, and pickled vegetables. It can be called as a sandwich or a wrap.
Here, the chef serves the crispy Falafel with Beetroot Hummus in Pita Pockets. It makes for a filling snack.