Chicken Kathi Roll By Chef Ajay Chopra
Chicken Kathi Roll
Chicken Kathi Roll is a lip-smacking Indian street food. Chef Ajay Chopra shares the recipe in detail.Read More
For the chicken
500 gm chicken thigh (boneless)
1 lemon juice
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp salt
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp roasted cumin powder
1 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp mustard oil
1 tsp green chilli sauce
2 tbsp hung curd
1 onion lacchas
1/2 green capcicum sliced
For Mughlai Paratha
2 cups all-purpose flour (maida)
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp oil or ghee
milk for kneading the dough
pinch of salt
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp ketchup
½ tsp kasundi
½ tsp garam masala
- Trim excess fat off and cut chicken into 4 cm chunks, add salt, lime juice, ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder, turmeric, garam masala and mustard oil.
- Mix all the ingredients well then add green chilli sauce and curd. Coat the chicken pieces with the marinade.
- Soak bamboo skewers in water so that it doesn't burn. Fold each piece of meat and skewer it (this retains kebabs moisture & hence is juicy) and cook on grill.
- Add some onion lacha and green capsicum on the kebab while they are getting grilled in a pan.
- Add pinch of salt and garam masala to onions and capsicum.
- For mughlai Paratha add oil in maida, salt and knead it using milk. Knead the dough well and cut equal size dough balls.
- Roll the ball and place it on a hot griddle and cook it one side.
- Break an egg, add salt, red chilli and mix it. Pour the egg on the cooked side of the paratha and flip the paratha for the egg to be cooked.
- Cook the paratha using oil and remove from heat once done.
- Remove kebabs from the pan and leave the onion and capsicum in it.
- Add tomato ketchup, kasundi, garam masala and mix all the ingredients and remove from the heat.
- Place the paratha on a board, spread green chutney, add the chicken kebab and vegetables. Roll the paratha and keep it on the tawa.
- Add more egg and oil to cook the roll and seal it.
- Kolkata roll is ready to be served.
Chicken Kathi Roll is a lip-smacking Indian street food. This yummy portable snack was invented by “Nizam’s”, a popular restaurant in Kolkata in the first half of the 20th century. They made these rolls for their customers who wanted a filling on-the-go snack. Since then, this street food has gained immense popularity around the globe.
Juicy, tender, roasted kebab fillings delicately wrapped in flaky, layered parathas, the kathi roll is one of the heartiest and most satisfying of street foods.
The delightful Chicken Kathi Roll is packed with finger-licking flavours and freshness in every bite.