Bao Buns with mushroom and aubergine filling By Chef Ajay Chopra
Bao Buns with mushroom and aubergine filling
Bao Buns with mushroom and aubergine filling is a tasty street food snack. Chef Ajay Chopra shares the recipe in detail.Read More
1/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup warm milk
2 ½ tsp active dry yeast
2 ¾ cup flour
2 tsp sugar
2 ½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
3 tbsp unsalted butter melted
1 tbsp sesame oil
For mushroom - Aubergine filling
200 gm mushrooms of choice
200 gm aubergine - cut into thick batons
2 green onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves peeled and minced
1 tbsp chopped ginger
1 tbsp chopped green chilli
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp chilli paste
2 tbsp chilli sauce
1 tbsp ketchup (tomato sauce)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp Sriracha hot sauce
2 tsp sesame seeds plus more as garnish
- For bao bun mix warm milk, sugar and active dry yeast. Allow to stand until activated and foamy, about 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sesame oil. Add the flour mix to the yeast mix along with butter and knead. When smooth, cover it with a cloth and allow it to rest in a warm place for about an hour or so.
- Then punch the dough down and roll it out so it's about 1/2 inch thick.
- Using a cookie cutter cut out bao buns.
- Fold the rounds over into a moon shape, like a taco. Lightly roll them using the rolling pin, flattening them slightly. Allow them to proof on the counter for about 15 minutes. Steam the bao buns for 5-10 mins.
- For filling, heat oil. Add garlic, green chilli, ginger, chilli paste, chilli sauce, sriracha and ketchup, soy sauce and sugar.
- Deep fry the aubergine batons and add to the sauce along with the mushrooms, mix well.
- For dipping sauce, add sesame seeds, red chilli flakes, spring onion greens, soy sauce, sugar and oil. MIx well.
- For assembly, open the bao, place salad, drizzle some dipping sauce, add mushroom and aubergine filling and garnish with some more salad.
Bao Buns with mushroom and aubergine filling is a famous street food from China. Bao buns are steamed buns from China that are regularly made in Chinese households. In Chinese Bao means buns so Bao Buns is a kind of misnomer.
Here, the chef fills in a savoury filling of mushroom and aubergine in the pillowy steamed buns. The fluffy steamed buns filled with mushrooms and aubergines cooked in sriracha sauce will make you go weak in your knees.