Chicken Saagwala By Chef Ajay Chopra
Chicken Saagwala is a dish that brings together chicken and leafy green vegetables. Chef Ajay Chopra shares the recipe for unique dish.Read More
For Chicken Saagwala
2 tbsp mustard oil
4-5 green cardamoms
1 cinnamon stick
¼ tsp cumin seeds
2 bay leaves
½ tsp fennel seeds
3 dry red chillies
4-5 black pepper
2 onions, chopped
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
500 gm chicken (boneless)
1 cup curd
2 tbsp ghee
2 tbsp garlic
2 slit green chillies
1 tbsp ginger juliennes
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch fenugreek leaves
1 bunch spinach
¼ tsp black pepper
½ tsp garam masala
1 tbsp kasuri methi
1 tbsp white butter
- Heat oil, add green cardamom, cinnamon, clove, cumin seeds and let it crackle. Then add bay leaves, fennel seeds, red chillies and fry the spices.
- Add chopped onions and sweat the onions. Add ginger garlic paste and fry it further.
- Now add powdered spices, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder. Cook the powdered spices on medium heat.
- Add pieces of boneless chicken and mix it in the masala. Add curd and reduce the heat so curd doesn't curdle.
- In another kadhai warm ghee, add garlic and let it sweat, add green chillies, ginger juliennes and tomatoes.
- Then add fenugreek leaves and cook it in the masala, further add palak and fry the greens well.
- And spinach puree, black pepper powder, garam masala, kasuri meethi and butter. Mix and bring all the ingredients together.
- Add chicken masala in the greens and cook it on medium heat.
- Chicken Saagwala is ready, serve with hot roti.
Chicken Saagwala is a dish that brings together chicken and leafy green vegetables. In Punjabi, saag refers to dishes made with leafy green vegetables such as spinach leaves, fenugreek leaves, mustard leaves, or collard leaves.
In this recipe, the chef cooks chicken pieces with spinach and fenugreek leaves and some Indian spices. The tender chicken, aromatic spices and the presence of leafy greens give this dish an amazing flavour and texture. Generally, Chicken Saagwala is mildly spicy but you can adjust the spice levels to your own taste.
Chicken Saagwala is a great combination of the proteins and greens.