Paneer puff By sayed ismail
Winner - Your Recipe Contest
Spicy and deliciousRead More
- Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
- Onion - 2 large (Finely sliced)
- Ginger Garlic paste - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato - 1 medium (Finely chopped)
- Salt - 1 tsp (Adjust per taste)
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp (Adjust per taste)
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1 1/2 tsp
- Jeera Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Paneer - 200 gms (Small cube*Vegans can replace with firm tofu
- Kasuri methi a generous pinch
- Puff pastry sheets - 6 (*The pack I used was with No eggs and butter.)
- Olive oil - For brushing
- First, thaw your puff pastry until it comes to room temperature and becomes soft, for about 30-45 minutes. Cut the paneer into 1/4 inch small cubes and keep it immersed in warm water for about 10 minutes.
- Mean while heat a pan with oil, add the fennel seeds. Once it starts changing color, add the onion and saute for 2 minutes. Then add the ginger-garlic paste and saute until the onion changes to dark brown in color. Onion should be nicely caramelized, but take care not to burn it.
- Now add the tomato, salt and saute until the tomatoes turn mushy. Follow it with the listed powders (Red chilli, Garam masala, Coriander, Jeerand give a quick stir. Add about 1/2 cup of water, stir and turn the flame to low-medium. Cook until the water completely evaporates.
- By now the raw smell of all the powders would have gone. Drain the paneer from water, add it to the pan and saute for 2 minutes. Take a pinch of kasuri methi, crush it in between your palms and add to the paneer masala. Give a quick stir and turn off the flame.
- Leave the prepared paneer masala to come to room temperature. We will move on with puff folding.
- Pre heat the oven at 375 Take the baking sheet, line it with butter paper or grease it with butter/oil. Place the puff pastry over them as shown in pic. Wet the edges with water so that it would stick while folding.
- Now take a spoon full of prepared paneer masala and place it at its center. Fold the pastry to form a triangle shape by joining two opposite edges. Seal the edges by pressing with your thumb. Refer to the video here.
- Repeat the same process for other pastry. Finally, brush the top with melted butter/ olive oil, which will give the puff a bright golden brown after baking.
- Bake them in the pre-heated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until the puff changes to golden brown. Check at regular intervals to avoid burnt puffs. Once done remove them from oven and let them get cooled for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot as a tea time snack with ketchup.